Shank You Fall Recipe
Chef Larry in ‘The Rhode Show’ kitchen today to show you how to make our Shank You Fall. Head over to RhodyDeals.com for a half coupon special and come in try this hit before it’s gone.
- 11/2 C arborio rice
- Spanish onion small diced
- 1 Small sugar or reg pumpkin peeled seeded and diced 1/2
- 2 T Olive oil
- 4 T Butter
- 5 Cups chicken stock (approx.)
- 3 T Brown sugar
- 1/4 t Allspice
- Toss diced pumpkin with the brown sugar salt and pepper.
- Place on greased sheet pan in preheated 350 degree oven until lightly browned and caramelized.
- Set aside 3/4 Cup and puree 1/2 in food processor or blender.
- Wilt the onion in the butter and oil, add the rice and stir until parched.
- Add the wine and stir until almost absorbed.
- Begin adding simmering stock, stirring, cooking until just before al dente.
- Add the puree and diced pumpkin, stir gently, add the allspice and season with the salt and pepper. Spread on sheet pan to cool.
- 4 Bone in pork shanks (approx. 11/2 each)
- 11/2 Cups flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3/4 Cup olive oil
- 2 T tomato paste
- 3 Carrots 1/2″ diced
- 2 Celery ribs diced
- 1 Spanish onion diced
- 2 Cups dry white wine
- 10 Cups chicken stock (approx.)
- 1/4 t dried rosemary crushed
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- 1 Turnip diced 1/2″
- 1/2 Butternut squash peeled, diced
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1 T grated lemon peel, chopped parsley and rosemary for garnish
- 1/2 Cup toasted pepitas
- Toss the shanks with the seasoned flour until well coated.
- In a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid, heat the oil until simmering, add the shanks and brown on all sides.
- Remove and add the diced carrot/onion/celery. Stir fry one minute, add the tomato paste and cook over medium high heat until caramelized and browned.
- Deglaze with the wine, add the dried herbs, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer, season.
- Place the shanks into the pot so liquid and vegetable mix comes up 3/4 the way up on shanks – add stock if necessary. Cover with lid or foil if using pan.
- Place in 350 degree oven for approx. 2 hours or until very tender.
- Remove shanks and skim fat and bring to a boil. Simmer until lightly thickened and add turnip/butternut/carrot.
- Toast pepitas lightly in a pan and set aside. Add simmering stock to risotto, stirring until creamy.
- When vegetables are just al dente, add in sauce when you are ready to serve.
- Place risotto in middle of plate and top with a shank. Surround the rice with the the sauce and vegetable mix, drizzling some on the top.
- Scatter the toasted pepitas and top the bone with the gremolata of rosemary, parsley and lemon peel.